Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Getting Baked

This is not what you were thinking.

I bake because it feels good to do it. I only started really baking about two years ago. I’ve kicked that can a few times over the years but nothing like what I’ve been doing. I bake about once a week now and thankfully I have people to share it with. I’ll try just about anything at least once. I’ve learned to create my own recipes. Somewhat trepidatiously at times but I still am willing to venture there.

I hope my grandparents would be proud. My grandmother was a phenomenal baker as was my grandfather. He was the blue-ribbon baker for Purity Mills but because it was during a time when the man worked and the woman stayed home. He was the bread and award winner (pun intended). We would show up during summer vacation when I was little and there was grandma pulling fresh, hot cream puffs out of the oven to let them cool just enough to pipe them full of real whipped cream. Every child’s dream. My mother was a fantastic baker too. She had this chocolate cake recipe that was out of this world. Wish I had that recipe to this day but sadly, I don’t.

I have however, crafted my own chocolate-based dessert – my No-bake Milk Chocolate Cheesecake. I’ve done a couple versions of it now: one with an Oreo cookie crust and the other done with my own brownie recipe. The brownie crust wins hands-down. It’s slightly chewy with a rich, chocolate flavour. Puts an extra chocolate kick to it while providing another texture to the soft, cheesecake. I incorporate two recipes into one dessert and from first-hand reports, is a winner. Which makes me very happy.

For me, the whole point of baking is to bring a little enjoyment into a person’s life. A savoury smile. A satisfied sigh. Eyes closed. For just a few moments then on to the next bite. Repeat. Then it’s done. Hopefully with little or no guilt attached to it. You shouldn’t feel guilty about having something like this. Even daily. I do. If it’s not the cheesecake, it’s my brownies or maybe cookies or muffins. Pastries even. But I cheat on that and buy the pre-made puff pastry. Sure I could make my own but I know where my strengths lie and it’s not making pastry from scratch. I leave that to the experts.

I’ve recently – and I take this seriously & humbly – been asked by several people I know to consider doing a cookbook. I have enough of my own recipes to have a healthy start to it and expand over the next several months. I was really honoured that they would even request/suggest such a thing. Sure I’ll throw in some of my old stand-bys such as baked ham with peaches, white onion & ginger (a favourite of my family I get requested to do often), poutine with onion rings and swiss cheese and there’s my slow-cooker mushroom gravy bombs but I think the real heart of it will be about desserts. The stuff we leave just enough room for or swap out for dinner altogether. Trust me. I’ve done that. Dessert first then dinner. Or skipped the dinner part completely.

There really is so much you can do with a few ingredients that lands a smile on so many faces. For me, that is the thing that makes it all so very worth it.


Peace & Love

No comments:

Post a Comment